Thursday, April 3, 2014

Letters

I'd like to take a moment to thank the Typosphere for adding me to the blog roll and everyone who has taken the time to read. Readers motivate writers.

I haven't posted much lately because I haven't really had much time to tinker. I have, however, been doing a great deal of typing. I have a short story I've been working on, and sometimes I just write my thoughts. If nothing else, it keeps me in practice.

People who know I work for a newspaper sometimes ask if I use a typewriter to write my articles. The answer is no. For my profession, I need to be able to write, edit and transfer quickly. Time is of the essence when reporting.

One area that my typewriters have improved is keeping in touch with loved ones. Of course I use the phone, text, e-mail and Facebook, but taking the time to type a letter almost guarantees more depth in the communication.

I had to move a couple of hours away from my girlfriend to take a job while she is finishing school. We talk on the phone every night, but writing letters is something special between us. If you have a significant other, I strongly encourage you to write them a love letter, even if you live in the same house. I promise good results.

I even wrote a few thank-you letters after Christmas. It's amazing how much our parents try to instill that in us as kids, but we seem to forget about it as adults. It seems to be a common thread in the advice columns. Yes, I confess. Reading the advice columns is a guilty pleasure of mine. I notice that quite a few letters are from grandparents who feel ignored or unappreciated by their young relatives. They're expected to pay out the birthday money like it's tax time, but rarely do they get so much as a phone call.

I've been guilty of neglecting family relations, but this year I typed some thank-you letters to relatives who had sent me some holiday cheer. An e-mail or phone call would have been faster and would have fulfilled the obligation, but that wasn't the point. The point was to actually dedicate some time and thought to another person.

The internet keeps us connected but often in a single-serving way. We can say, "Hey what's up" to our old school chums, but who wants to say, "Hey, what's up" to Grandma? E-mail seems a little to professional, and I simply refuse to use texting as a primary means of communicating with family. Texting is what I use to meet up with a buddy at the bar.

Getting an actual letter is exciting. It means someone took the time to writer it, seal it, walk it to the mailbox and send it. Congratulations. Someone thought you were worth all that. Think about it. When is the last time you actually got a letter in the mail? I don't even like going to the mailbox, because I know it's going to be bills, junkmail, ads for stuff I don't need and coupons for stuff I don't buy.

Let's start a letter writing campaign. Think of someone you haven't been in touch with for awhile, someone who'd love to hear from you, and write them a letter. Do it tonight. Stay off the computer. Use your typewriter. If you don't have a typewriter, write it by hand. You'll be surprised how relaxing it is to sit down and write a letter. You'll also be surprised just how much you actually have to say.

When you finish your letter, feel free to come back here and leave me a comment about your letter writing experience. When you finish doing that, think of someone else who would like to hear from you. Send some ink and paper out into the world. Let's make going to the mailbox fun again.

4 comments:

  1. So true. I am fortunate to receive and send at least one or two letters each week. People report that they were stunned when an actual letter appeared in their box. It creats the nice problem of what to do with the letter. Two weeks after sending a letter to good friends I visited their home...there was my letter, on the table, not deleted or sent to the cloud, but waiting for a proper set aside. I gave my sister a Hermes Rocket and now at least one letter is in my box every week, full of humor and a delight to read. Yes, I am all for the letter, be it typed (what typewriters do best) or written. The return on investment is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding us of the importance of remembering our loved ones. I've always hated hand writing letters, and just didn't do it. But typewriting is a whole different thing, as I love it now ( didn't like it in eighth grade when we had to take typing class - 1965) I also love to just sit down and doodle, or journal. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. True! True! But writing a letter by hand isn't only relaxing, it's also painful, sometimes for a couple of days! So I am very glad with my typewriters, and my penpals to write to. It's so different from emailing with people around the world. Much more dedicated, and appreciated. And fun!

    ReplyDelete